Motor Vehicle FAQ

What should I do if I have an accident?

  • Record the name, address, licence number, phone number, registration and insurance of other drivers involved
  • Try to obtain names, address and contact numbers of independent witnesses (someone who was not in your vehicle at  the time or is not known to you)
  • Take photos of the damage/accident location if possible
  • For Fleet vehicles, report all accidents and all damage to your Manager/Supervisor
  • Check your vehicle, and if safe to drive, proceed to your destination.

If you are unsure, contact Tokio Marine on 1800 229 272 to arrange recovery or towing of your vehicle.

Tokio Marine can arrange a hire vehicle on your behalf if required (subject to policy terms and conditions).

Notify the Police only if:

  • Someone is injured;
  • A vehicle requires towing;
  • The other driver refuses to stop or exchange details, or the law has been broken (eg. failing to stop at stop signs, traffic lights or a give way sign); or
  • You suspect the other driver of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

    Do I need to complete a claim form?

Yes. Please complete the Online Claim Form.

Do I have to get a quote for repairs?

Yes, you can utilise one of our recommended repairers (the full list of repairers may be found here)

or a repairer of your choice.

What should I do if someone makes a claim against me?

We will do all we can to assist you through the claims process.

Will I have to pay my excess?

Please always refer to the policy for the relevant excess amount.

You may need to pay an excess if you are responsible for the accident or you cannot provide the name, address, and registration number of the responsible party.

What should I do if my vehicle is stolen?

Report it to the police.

Complete our Online Claim Form.

Want more details? Contact us now.