A Brief History of Tokio Marine Nichido
Looking back on the history of the Tokio Marine Group, we can see that within a free and open corporate culture, our predecessors embraced a global perspective and courageous spirit as they pushed onward to benefit society and its people.
- Founded in 1879 as the first General Insurance Company in Japan, and established agencies in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Busan
- Commenced operations in Paris, London, and New York in 1880
- Commenced sale of auto insurance in 1914
- As of 2014, in 37 countries and 486 cities worldwide, with approximately 33,000 employees.
- Established in Australia in 1963.
- Representative office in Melbourne opened in 1973
- Was registered as an overseas company in NZ in May 1972
- Holds Australian Financial Services License (AFSL 246548) and is authorised to underwrite insurance by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).