A Brief History of Tokio Marine Nichido
Looking back on the history of the Tokio Marine Group, we can see that within a free and open corporate culture, our predecessors embraced a global perspective and challenging spirit as they pushed onward to benefit society and its people.
- Founded in 1879 as the first General Insurance Company in Japan and established agencies in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Busan.
- Started Operation in Paris, London, and New York in 1880.
- Commenced sales of auto insurance in 1914.
- Numbers of countries/ regions is 37; number of cities is 486 and number of employees approximately 33,000 worldwide. (As of 2014)
- Established in Australia in 1963.
- Representative office in Melbourne opened in 1973
- Was registered as an overseas company in NZ in May 1972, though the NZ branch operation as administered by NZI was operative from Dec 2007.
- Holds Australian Financial Services License (AFSL 246548) and is authorised to underwrite insurance by the Australian prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).